Friday, July 11, 2008

Vim tips : Using tabs

I am an ardent fan of the versatile text editor Vim created and maintained by Bram Moolenaar. A side effect of being enamoured by this editor is that I am tempted to document each and every unique characteristics of Vim when I come to know of it. In all these many years of using Vim, I am astonished by the fact that a simple text editor such as this can show such versatility and flexibility to the extent that it can also be used by developers as a programmer's editor to write their code. I have also heard that Vim editor can be used as a plugin in the Microsoft Visual Studio in place of its default editor. Visual Studio btw, is a very popular Visual IDE albeit for Windows platform, which is the tool of choice to develop software in a wide variety of Windows specific computer languages.

So on the lines of my love affair with Vim, in the past, I have published a concise tutorial on using Vim, talked about how to make Vim more user friendly and have highlighted a couple of new features in Vim 7.0 apart from bringing news about occasions which might have an impact on Vim.

Today, I came across a very interesting article written by Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier who explains the different commands which help in using tabs in Vim. As many of you are aware, tabs are one of the new features in Vim 7.0 and it is possible to use tabs in both GUI mode of Vim as well as the console mode. And tabs have proven to bring a degree of user friendliness in a variety of software with it being most evident in web browsers.

No comments: